Saturday, March 7, 2009

What a gorgeous day for a ride! And a dogsled race! I hit the road on Blue Betty this morning to go watch the ceremonial Iditarod start and hopefully catch Nik's dad's take-off. Latte on the handlebars, I headed out feeling like a giddy youngster, because I so seldom get to ride these days. I probably shouldn't have ridden today, as the snow was too soft and I gave my studs to Marc for his commuter. But it was too beautiful and it's just so much faster to get downtown by bicycle. I had a little spill in the beginning that has left me writing this post with an ice pack and some red wine (like that required a reason!). I went around a mushy corner and my chain came off all at once...but no coffee was spilled and that's what really matters, you know? So, I got down to the race and found the Sawatzki crew, dogs a-leaping, people a-grinning, and finally got to meet Nik's mom. Nik's mom was my champion last year when she told Marc he should go home and attend to the cute, broken girl on his couch (that was me), because obviously the girl on the couch fancied him. Well, bless her heart, here we are...Thanks, Jeannie! Our friend Mike was helping the crew and Nik was riding second sled with his dad. The energy was contagious and everyone was happy and excited. There were some ladies in delicious fur coats, beautiful boots, and fabulous fluffy hats meandering through the crowd...that and the usual rough looking dudes with furry tails hanging from their heads and beards that cry out for a good grooming. All in all a beautiful day! Now, off for some baby shower shopping...

No comments: